Flu Jab Clinic
BOOK YOUR FLU JAB NOW
IF YOU ARE ELIGIBLE:
- those aged 65 years and over
- those aged 6 months to under 65 years in clinical risk groups (as defined by the Green Book, chapter 19 (Influenza))
- pregnant women
- carers in receipt of carer’s allowance, or those who are the main carer of an elderly or disabled person
- close contacts of immunocompromised individuals
- frontline workers in a social care setting without an employer led occupational health scheme including those working for a registered residential care or nursing home, registered domiciliary care providers, voluntary managed hospice providers and those that are employed by those who receive direct payments (personal budgets) or Personal Health budgets, such as Personal Assistants
- all children aged 2 or 3 years on 31 August 2023 – WE WILL ADVISE WHEN YOU CAN BOOK FOR THE NASAL VACCINE
- primary school aged children (from Reception to Year 6) – PRIMARILY DONE AT SCHOOL
- those in long-stay residential care homes
They do not include those aged 50-64 that are not in an at risk group
WE HAVE CLINICS AVAILABLE ON SATURDAY 30.9.23 AND
Please book online (if you have Patient Access) or call Reception
NHS 75TH BIRTHDAY CELEBRATIONS
5 July 2023 marks the 75th birthday of the NHS. The staff stopped work for a moment to reflect on this incredible service and to have a slice of birthday cake too!
This practice is delighted to be signed up to the Green Impact for Health Toolkit and is actively taking steps to reduce our carbon footprint.
The climate emergency is also a health emergency, and health care in the UK contributes 5.4% of the UK's carbon emissions.
We need to enhance the health of our current population without compromising the health of future generations, and this means operating within the sustainable boundaries of the planet.
Fortunately most of the solutions for the planet also make our health better - for example eating a mainly plant-based diet, engaging in active travel and exercise in nature, avoiding smoking, reducing pollution etc all enhance our health and reduce our need for medications, with further benefits to the NHS, your health and the carbon footprint of healthcare. Take a look at the Greener Practice website to learn more about this.
Thumbs Up Award 2023
The Brow Health Centre scoops top Sussex award for supporting people with learning disabilities to access annual health checks
NHS England, said:
People with a learning disability can sometimes find it hard to know when they are unwell, or to tell someone about it. A health check once a year gives people time to talk about anything about their health or wellbeing that is worrying them and means they can get used to going to visit the doctor.
The Sussex Thumbs Up scheme supports GP Practices to increase the number of people who receive an annual health check, make reasonable adjustments to support care, reduce health inequalities and prevent early deaths.
The Brow has secured the top “gold” level of the quality kite mark, for excellence in various standards including: improving access; training of all staff; providing accessible information; completion of health checks and ‘My Care Passports’; and overall health care.
95 per cent of patients at The Brow with a learning disability received an annual health check last year.
Dr Karen Eastman, GP and senior partner at The Brow, said:
We are thrilled to have our work recognised. It’s so important that we work closely with anyone caring for those with a learning disability, and the patient themselves, to encourage them to access health services and this important annual health check. We are all proud to have contributed to this award, and particular thanks go to our dedicated Learning Disability team – nurse Scarlet Hutchinson, GP Mandy Claiden, and our Learning Disability Champion and Care-coordinator Hazel Sharrad.
Over the last three years we have made changes in our practice to be more proactive and improve care for our learning disability patients. Our team has established a supportive relationship with patients and encourage them to take up offers of vaccinations and health checks. Our flexible appointment system allows for longer appointments and the ability to book times when the surgery is quieter, and we provide support and information in accessible ways including a dedicated area on our website. We feel these things have really helped to make a difference to our patients and their carers.
Anyone aged 14 or over who’s on their GP’s learning disability register can have a free annual health check once a year. You can ask to go on this register if you think you have a learning disability.
In the past year (April 2022 – March 2023) GP Practice teams in Sussex have completed 7,422 annual health checks for people with a learning disability. That’s 75.4 per cent of people registered with a learning disability in Sussex.
Take a look at the video here: https://youtu.be/wCEOlqb3P10
Community Pharmacist Consultation Service
- Our practice is working closely with local pharmacists to support you with certain minor health conditions, as it may be more appropriate to have your NHS consultation with a pharmacist instead of the GP practice.
- You can choose to have your consultation with any pharmacy convenient to you.
- The pharmacist consultation will be confidential.
- Pharmacists are highly skilled healthcare professionals who have trained in medicines and can give health advice and help you manage your condition.
- If treatment for symptoms is required, the pharmacist may suggest an over the counter medicine.
- If the pharmacist thinks you need to see another healthcare professional, they will help arrange it.
- With your consent, the pharmacist will ensure your medical record is updated with the outcome of your consultation.
- Find out more about how pharmacies can help at:
Please ask us if you want any more information about our Community Pharmacist Consultation Service.
HRT pre-payment certificate (HRT PPC)
To reduce prescription costs for women receiving Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT), on 1 April 23 the Government is launching the HRT PPC.
For more information on this please visit: https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/help-nhs-prescription-costs/nhs-hormone-replacement-therapy-prescription-prepayment-certificate-hrt-ppc
The HRT PPC can be applied for via the NHS BSA (see above) or a participating pharmacy (we do not keep a list of these and you will need to find one).
The HRT PPC will cover certain HRT medicines and will be valid for 12 months (please check the website above to see if your HRT medicine will be covered).
From 3rd March, our practice will no longer be using the Livi service.
This service was provided as part of our Enhanced Access provision to enable you to access appointments outside of our core hours. We will now be providing all of these appointments with local staff through our GP Federation, Alliance for Better Care. These appointments are a mixture of face-to-face and online and can be booked directly through the practice using all our usual routes.
Check Your Own Blood Pressure
You no longer have to make an appointment with the nurse to check your blood pressure as we now have a machine in reception where you can just walk in and do it yourself!
At the same time, there is also equipment for you to check your height and weight too.
Why not come and give it a go. It's very easy and our lovely reception staff are always there to help if you have any questions.
Covid Vaccination Update
The Autumn/Winter Vaccination Programme has started and is set to include Covid boosters and flu jabs. We are working with our GP federation, Alliance for Better Care, to deliver our Covid vaccinations and will be running regular clinics at the Clair Hall vaccination site. As per current government guidelines, the Covid booster programme covers patients aged 50+, as well as health and care workers and those who are deemed clinically vulnerable. However, if you wish to check your eligibility, we ask that you do so via the NHS website. Should you have any questions relating specifically to the programme, please call 119.
Appointments can be booked via the NHS website or you can check the Alliance for Better Care Walk-In Clinic page.
We will be contacting all patients who are eligible for a flu vaccination directly and inviting them to receive their annual dose at our practice.
While this next phase of the Covid vaccination programme focuses on the delivery of booster doses to eligible patients, we continue to welcome patients aged five and upwards for first and second doses of the Covid vaccine. Simply book via the NHS website or attend one of the appropriate Alliance for Better Care Walk-In Clinics.
For more information, visit https://allianceforbettercare.org/vaccination-programme-patients/